Sunday, June 22, 2014

FBA Friday Series # 2: What you need to get started on FBA (The Very Basics)

Sorry for being late in posting this. Hubby surprised me with a trip away for our anniversary and I didn't have time to post before we left. 


This is how I started at the very beginning on FBA. I have some other things that I have purchased since I started that made things easier, but for a year this is how I did it.

printer and sheets of  address size labels
boxes for shipping (18 x 18 x 16 is the biggest you can do without getting an oversize charge on shipping)
packing tape
shipping labels or paper for printing mailing labels
some inventory you want to sell- I'd start by looking around your house or in your inventory for some items that have UPC codes on them
an Amazon Pro Merchant account ($40 a month) (Amazon Merchant Fulfullied costs you a dollar per item in fees, if you sell more than 40 items a month then it's already worthwhile) you can see Amazon's explanation here 

plastic bags- 2ML thick with a suffication warning label, or your own suffication warning labels to put on you bags (you only need these if you are selling things that aren't self contained, like a book, a toy with an opening etc. )
If you are planning on bundling items you will also need some bags or shrink wrap to put them together with. I used household cling wrap in the beginning, not the best, but it works and it's pretty cheap.
if you are selling more than one item in a bundle you will also need some stickers that say do not seperate.

next time we will talk about listing your item for FBA.
until next time~











8 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the information. I've read that you need a laser printer. Is this a must? I have an inkjet printer that I absolutely love. Would this work for printing FBA Labels?
    Thanks, Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started with an inkjet and used it for about a year before I got my dymo. The only difference is you will have to print a full sheet of labels instead of one at a time. I'll be explaining that more next week. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. in their FBA starter guide now they say not to use an inkjet at all. I don't know if its an absolute requirement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The FBA manual does say no inkjets, I am just going with my personal experience. To start out and to save initial investment, I used my inkjet and didn't have any problems. However, if your item sits in the warehouse for a while or gets wet it could fade or run, which could cause problems. They also say not to tape over the barcode because it could make it unscannable. I think it's more of a what you can afford issuewhen you first start out. I use a dymo printer now.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the list and tips on bundling. I wanted to let you know that my blog name is no longer Cray Cray for eBay. The new name is Garage Sale Heaven and the new url is http://garagesaleheaven.blogspot.com/ If you could make the change on your blogroll, I would really appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you think it's worth it to use FBA if you're only going to send in a few things here and there? I've been on the fence about Amazon for awhile now, and have come to the realization that I don't have the time to commit to take on another project right now. Maybe in the Fall when my youngest starts preschool. Should I just hold off? Or start now by just sending in a few things to get a feel for it works before I really dive in? I appreciate your input! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it depends on how much you want to make Amazon part of your plan. I depend on Amazon as my main source of income, so for me I would send in ASAP. If you are planning on things that will do well at Christmas time, I would suggest learning how now, it will make it easier when things are crazy near Christmas. It takes a little bit to figure out the system and what sells best there. I would definetly say start small! It can be overwhelming if you try with too much inventory at once!

    ReplyDelete

I'm back......

Whoa Friends, has it been a long time! Hard to believe my last post was over 3 years ago- but here I am. A few things have changed- I am now...