Monday, July 29, 2013

Thrift Store vs Garage Sale

When sourcing inventory to resell what do you prefer- thriftstore or garage sale?

I like the prices at garage sales vs.  the prices at the thrift store, but for this time in my life with my two littles, it's much easier to do my sourcing in one spot. My hubby works another job on the evenings and weekends so I can't have him take the kiddos for me so I can garage sale alone. My parents are 70 years old and already do daycare for me all week while I'm at my teaching job, so I don't ask them to watcht them, although I'm sure they would.  Little man is getting much better about going to garage sales and wants to go more often (usually because he wants to find new toys)  but with the baby, trying to get them both in and out all of the time is just too much.  So, for now I do my sourcing in thriftstores and usually just one visit one store on errand day (taking them in and out at multiple places anywhere is a lot of work!~)

Once I start my new job I will already be in town so I am planning on stopping a few days a week on my way home and doing a quick trip around the store before I pick up the kiddos.

Other places that work well for ebay moms with small kids:
online sourcing
large garage sales- like whole neighborhoods where you can walk to several and take the kids in a stroller or wagon (just don't buy too much!)
look around your home
ask friends and family for things they don't need anymore
if you work outside of the home, try to source on your lunch break
find another mom you could take with you (one watches the kids, while the other shops) or swap daycare, you watch her kids one day while she runs errands, she watches you kids while you run errands
pick the 3 most promising garage sales before you head at in the morning, and go to those. bring lots of drinks, snacks, and things to keep the kiddos busy (my son's ipad is a great distraction for a while- I usually get a new app (free one) before we go out so he has something new to occupy them.



1 comment:

  1. I prefer yard sales. I have two littles also (2yo and 5yo), and I drag them out with me on Friday mornings when the weather is nice. The 5yo likes it, the 2yo not so much. I used to go to Value Village every Monday, but they changed their sales around so I rarely go there anymore.

    ReplyDelete

I'm back......

Whoa Friends, has it been a long time! Hard to believe my last post was over 3 years ago- but here I am. A few things have changed- I am now...