Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Craigslist- I'm beginning to like it!

I've tried Craigslist before and haven't had very good luck. I live out in the boonies and list most items in the summer when I have more time to meet people. But I don't feel very comfortable having them come to my house because there is no one else around most of the time.

So, if I sell something on craigslist I usually have to drive about 45 minutes to meet someone on my "town" day. But it seems that my buyers never want to meet on days/times that I am already in town.

Due to all of the complications of meeting people I kinda gave up until this summer.

In the past month I have had good luck with Craigslist. I listed a house that we have for rent and got about 40 responses just from the online ad. Unfortunately I drove in about 10 times to meet people and they didn't show- so annoying!  But I was able to sell two children's chairs that were garage sale leftovers. I originally paid  $ 2 for each of them, and was able to sell them for $25.  I also sold some old milk crates that I got a few years ago for $10 each.  I sold 5 of them at our garage sale for $20 each, I sold 2 on etsy for $45 each and I sold the remaining 5 for $150 on Craigslist. I also kept one for myself to put my vinyl rolls in.

Now that our house in rented I am getting ready to list several more things the renter left behind. We had to evict her for non-payment, and she left us with so much damage to the house that it's taken a year to getit fixed up again, so I'm happy to get any money back that we can.

I'll let you know how those sales go.

I'd be curious to know how selling on Craigslist goes for you.  Do you have a lot of no shows?

1 comment:

  1. we live in a busy suburb where if you lay down and stretch out you can practically touch the next house so I typically set up a time provided my hubby is home. However with suburb comes big city mentality of that everything should be free. (Like I tried to sell 7 packages of pampers swaddlers my son had outgrown. I asked 4-5 a package im cheap and i would have jumped on this price) i had 3 or 4 responses asking for 2 dollars a pack and 1 person who had the nerve to ask "if you dont get any responses can i have them for free?" ummm yeah i would donate them to a pregnancy center first thanks. my parents, however, live in a midsize town of 55K and many other surrounding towns but not right outside a massive city and I have wayyyy better luck there.

    ReplyDelete

I'm back......

Whoa Friends, has it been a long time! Hard to believe my last post was over 3 years ago- but here I am. A few things have changed- I am now...