Saturday, March 24, 2012

making slow progress. . .

I'm getting ready to say goodbye to my Spring Break and head back to work on Monday.
I haven't been posting since I have been spending every spare second I can cleaning out my shop.
My hubby ended up taking a dump trail full of stuff to the dump today for a total of 1500 pounds. (about 500 was some of his stuff). I need to make sure that I never let it get that bad again!

Little one has been helping me out some by playing in his sandbox in the front of my shop where it's pretty easy to keep an eye on him. Also, he pretty much never stops talking, so I know if it gets quiet I need to go check on him. Hubby came a helped a few hours the last couple of nights. I kind of hit a brick wall towards the end of the week and was feeling very overwhelmed. It was good to have his help and get me going again. We now have enough room cleaned out for hubby and my dad to get the walls of the room up, hopefully before next weekend- we'll see how the week goes.

taken from the front of the shop, where my room will go

 No longer avalanche corner. It was full of mostly teaching stuff that I'm going to put aside for little one's "school time" this summer, or for when he's older. Lots of stuff to sell too!
This is from the back of the shop, where the yellow ladder, tv and wedding screens were in the last picture. The room is going to be about  12 feet wide and 20 feet long.

We had to take a lot of stuff and just stack it on the perimeter of the shop until the room is done. I'm not thrilled about that, but there just isn't time to go thru everything right now, so it will have to do, I have about 8 weeks until school is out and about a month before it will be too hot to work out there in the big part of the shop. Then we will get some shelves fixed and some new ones built and start organizing. I am ready for that, and for being able to stay at home on the weekends instead of driving into my dad's office to get stuff and find all of my ebay stuff easier.

Sales have picked up on all fronts this week. I had two returns on Amazon.  For some reason I have more returns on that venue than any other. I've decided to only sell new toys in the package on there, even though they look like new I seem to have people complain that they aren't. 

I also tried a few new thrift stores in my town this week- part of the plan I talked about here.
I found some great items at both of them. The first one I am a little ticked off at right now though, so I don't know that I will be going back. I found some starbucks mugs, and a few clothing items, although a lot of their items are way overpriced. I did find some books in their back room, about 80 of them that I was interested in. Since almost none of the books are priced (which I find totally annoying) I went to the front and asked how much. The girl (who was too busy talking to her boyfriend on her cell phone to talk to me for about 10 minutes) told me $1.00 a piece, which I thought was too high. They are older books that a lot people put in their free box at garage sales. So I asked her if I could get a better deal if I purchased all of them. She said she had to talk to her boss, who would be in later. So I went back a few days later and her boss told me that the books were $2.00 each- really snotty like I was lying about the previous price I was told, and then told me that she could "give" them to me for $1.50. I politely said thanks but no thanks and walked out. She sent one of her employees out to tell me that she could go as low as 1.14 each. Again I said no thanks. How did my deal become a higher price then when I first asked?  UGH. I'll wait and see if they go on sale later, if I ever go back there. Very disappointing!

The other store is a higher class store where a lot of doctor's wives and country club type people donate clothing. I haven't been to it in years, but I'm glad I went. The day I stopped by they were having a big sale. $4.00 for a paper bag full! I ended up spending several hours there and filled up
7 bags. Name brands including pendleton, tommy hilfiger, jones new york.I even got a couple of vintage coats that were originally marked $20.00 for about $5. I'm very excited about the deals I got. Not all of them are name brands, and they are mostly winter clothing, but I am going to list them anyway so I can get them put away. They are planning to switch everything in the store over to spring clothing this weekend, and I found out that their regular prices are still half the price of goodwill and other thrift stores in my area. I told them I will be back very soon. The only drawback is they don't have carts, which makes it hard to take little one with me. I'll have to take in my stroller or see if my mom can watch him for a little while.

Have a relaxing rest of your weekend. I'm planning on trying to get most of the bag sale clothing listed. My store has dropped to below 300 items again, I just can't seem to get ahead on listing, which is a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm back......

Whoa Friends, has it been a long time! Hard to believe my last post was over 3 years ago- but here I am. A few things have changed- I am now...