Saturday, March 17, 2012

I've got a big, messy secret

Hello all,
Please forgive me for not posting anything for 10! days.

I have a big messy secret I have been working on. Let me explain. . . .

When hubby and I got married 6 years ago, I left a four bedroom, paid in full house in town, to  move to the middle of the boonies to a 2 bedroom, only paid the mortage for 5 years house. But, it was hubby's dream to stay in the country so we did.

One perk of moving here was that he gave me his big 2 garage door metal shop to store my crafts in. (Really, he just didn't want all my junk in the house - He's clean like that)


I was very excited to have all of that room. However the first winter I realized how much it was not going to work. I was up until 3 am making crafts for a craft show the next day. It was about -10, and I had on about 15 layers and my paint was freezing instead of drying. There were other issues, bad shop lighting, H-rack storage to the ceiling that doesn't work so well for wives who are only 5 foot tall and have wimpy arms. It's just too big to heat and cool, and doesn't have storage for the types of things I do.

I've tried over the years to rework it and make it work and it just hasn't. The last time I stepped foot in there for more than 2 seconds was over 3 years ago, when I became pregnant with little one.

Since I have started back on ebay I have a new dream for my shop.  I do realize that I am very lucky to have the possibility of so much storage, I just need to make it work for me. It makes me sad to drive past the shop everyday and see so much possibility wasted.

So hubby and I have decided that I will make a little make shift room inside that is a smaller size to heat and cool. That will be my office for my computer, sewing machine, clothing, shipping items, photographing items and a place for little one to hang out with me.
In the rest of the shop we will install some shelving we bought last year from a grocery store that was closing and make some of the shelving I have more sturdy.  I will store all of my ebay inventory, craft supplies, and little one's clothes and toys until the next one comes along, in the larger area.

I currently have inventory at my house and also at my dad's office, which isn't working well at all. I'm never in the right place for the item I need, some Saturdays I have to drive 45 minutes to town to get something and come back home to ship it. And bless my dad for his patience of my having my junk all over his office.
Hopefully this summer I can get everything moved in and just ship from home, so much easier!

So, all of my extra time for the next few weeks (maybe months, I have a lot of junk to go thru)   I will be purging, cleaning, organizing and building. I will share some photos later this weekend.

Wish me luck!
and I'll show you pictures of it in progress if you promise not to turn me in to that Hoarders TV show. : )

1 comment:

  1. How exciting! It will be so much easier to work with a proper space. You MUST post before, during and after photos. We like that kind of crap :)

    Fellow hoarder

    ReplyDelete

I'm back......

Whoa Friends, has it been a long time! Hard to believe my last post was over 3 years ago- but here I am. A few things have changed- I am now...