Monday, January 30, 2012

How do you keep everything organized?

I could totally make this a post about how do you keep all of your inventory organized and make your life (and house) walk-through-able, but this is a post about how to keep all of your orders organized as you pack them. I got an email from an Amazon buyer this week and I discovered I had switched two labels on two book orders, and she is not a happy camper! So, now I have possibly two negative feedbacks just for a simple switch-a-roo mistake, and I can't even blame it on lots of orders to fill, as the night I packed this order I only had 5.

So I'm wondering what do you do to help keep it all straight?
So you write the customer's name on the package, do you do one at a time or all at once?
Please, share some strategies with me.  I need to get crackin' and not do this again, I don't want to put my selling on Amazon in jeopardy, with my non-existent ebay sales this week, I need the book sales!

I'm planning on posting more about how to organize stuff in a few weeks, when I have my mess slightly under control !

Happy Monday!

3 comments:

  1. I do it one at a time, so I don't have a mistake like that. I am paranoid of making that mistake! Hope it all gets straightened out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the last few days I haven't had to deal with it, thaks to zippo for sales. But when I do get a larger (we just started out in the store, so I talking 5-10 packages) I have put a small system together. I am lucky enough to have a postal scale so that makes things much easier, I start by pulling out all the sold items, then begin the printing label process.

    I start with the first order, weigh it, type weight into form for online label printing, then in pencil I either write (very small) a name or if the weight is distinguishable enough I write that on the outside of the package.

    I only seal the package when I have finished printing out the very last label, each label then gets trimmed and neatly placed over my scribble. That way the customer never sees it and I am usually able to quickly get many packages done in a small amount of time.

    Not so sure that even made any sense, but all my inventory is placed on shelves, when something sells or gets bid on, I pull that item and move it to a "sold shelf" and wait to the point that I have to send it-usually on the second day after purchase.

    It seems to work for me, I would love to hear of other ways to get this done, because I am not sure if this is effiecent or not.

    I did, however, once think that I accidently swapped a book, but later realized (after a HUGE meltdown) that the same buyer had bought both and there actually was no mistake.

    I would say, that accidents happen so don't take it to hard (LOL, coming from someone that overreacts over the a label being crooked- seems like I should be taking me own advice) Mistakes, happen to everyone at one time or another, I am more appauld that someone got upset for something that was a mistake, did you send this to Mother Theresa because I think she would be the only one I would concieve the idea that they have never made mistakes.

    Good luck and most of all relax! Everything will work out in the end.

    Danelle (also known as the other half)
    http://lifeinthesetimes-markeagleone.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I weigh each item and write the weight and name of item very small on the package. Then I seal it and move to the next item. Once I'm done packaging everything I print the postage. Im right next to the printer so I quickly grab the postage and write the item name on it so it won't get mixed up. Once all the postage is printed I match the item to the postage and place the postage over the note I wrote on the package. This works for me. Hope that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete

I'm back......

Whoa Friends, has it been a long time! Hard to believe my last post was over 3 years ago- but here I am. A few things have changed- I am now...