Sunday, December 29, 2013

Saving Money in the New Year



We are on a big saving money kick around here these days.  Our Christmas this year was a family decision to be a handmade Christmas. Honestly, I felt like I was channeling  a little Laura Ingalls Wilder (Christmas at Plum Creek, when they make a button string for Carrie because they have no money for christmas gifts)
and while I am thinking of the book, you can find the tv link here http://www.tv.com/shows/little-house-on-the-prairie/christmas-at-plum-creek-57178/

Anyway, the Influenza A and the new job put a little bit of a damper on my gift making, as I had planned on getting a lot of stuff done during my maternity leave, but we all know how that went down. So, I procrastinated and left all of my gift making up until the last 2 weeks until Christmas.

Here's what I was able to get done. I'm sorry, I didn't take any pictures, I was too busy coughing! I will see if my family will lend me a few so I can post photos later. I'm such a bad blogger!

from the kids:
handplate print plates (Christmas Trees and Moose) find tons of ideas here http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=handprint%20plates
handprint hats similiar to the plates

little girl "made" everyone plastic bag holders from her formula cans and reindeer ornaments from her formula scoops

little man made painted picture frames from the dollar store for everyone


I made this
button on kitchen towels find directions here http://treyandlucy.blogspot.com/2009/12/hanging-dishtowel.html

and scrapbook/fishing lure supply holders by spray painting baby food jar lids with chalkboard paint and then putting them in square cake pans from the dollar store

Coffee cup cozies and homemade cappucino and french vanilla coffee mix

I also made a pillowcase doll for little one and play food out of felt for little man- he wants to be a "cooker" when he grows up.

I made some canvas bags for my hubby to take with him when he goes hunting every fall, and I got him a googlechrome cast. I have been trying to get him to get rid of our expensive cable for several years to no avail. But I think this might change his mind!  We are having some problems with the tv screen lagging behind when someone else is on the computer, I think we need a better router, but now I need to hear from all of you, what shows do you love to watch on Hulu plus? I have amazon, but it won't stream, so I am trying out hulu. I have also been watching lots of reselling themed videos on youtube and have watched the every episode of American Horror Story, Dowtown Abbey, Coupling, Downstairs, Upstairs. . . I'm afraid I'm going to run out of shows to watch while I am listing, so I need to know, what are some good girly shows to watch?  I don't want to cancel our cable until I know for sure that are things we will still enjoy watching.

This is the first Christmas that we left December 25th without any extra CC debt!  We are starting the new year in the black, I love that! Now, hopefully I didn't just jinx us.

I will be posting later this week about how my Christmas sales were this year. I only have 6 days left of Christmas break before I head back to the day job.








2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! My goal for the new year is to get us in the black. Time to tighten our belts and sell a lot on ebay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My go-to show right now is Nashville. I watched 5 episodes back to back last night while I was listing. I like soap-y kind of dramas. :-) Some of my other faves are Castle, The Mentalist, The Good Wife and Parenthood. I got the first few seasons of Downton Abbey for Christmas, so I'm looking forward to finally jumping on that train. I have no doubt that I will love it too.

    Okay, I just re-read your post above and saw that you said girly shows. Parenthood is an amazing family drama, sooo good, but I have to be in the right mood to watch it because every episode makes me cry (in a good way). When I am caught up with Nashville I plan to start in on Revenge and Scandal (more soap-y dramas), neither of which have I watched, but both of which I am sure I will love. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I'm back......

Whoa Friends, has it been a long time! Hard to believe my last post was over 3 years ago- but here I am. A few things have changed- I am now...