Saturday, April 2, 2016

Here's the Grand Plan- Getting Organized



Here's my Grand Plan to Overhaul My Warehouse/Workshop Building

I have been really blessed that I have this wonderful work space for my business. I know a lot of people work out of their basement or a closet in their house, so I truly feel lucky to have the space I have. But, I have not been using it to the best of it's ability!  It hasn't been helping me progress my business and get more inventory listed and sent in. And, I'm really tired of dealing with the mess of it all! I want an efficient, clutter free space that I'm not embarrassed to have someone see. I want a place I look forward to going and doesn't involve me moving something and causing a daily inventory avalanche (true story!)

You can see my final plan in the graphic above (although not to scale!)

So, I really busted my butt last week to get the house all tidied up for (not so) baby girl's birthday party. I'm really working hard on keeping it that way. It's nice to finally have all of my inventory and supplies out in my shop and not have to carry things back and forth and work from the coffee table all of the time. Since my hubby got my heater installed it's been much easier to work out there.

On the downside, I had to haul all of my inventory back out to my shop and it has taken things over! I just don't have a place to put it. Bags of inventory just don't stack very well.

I'm not going to do the usual decluttering (I tried it, it just isn't for me!) that everyone has been talking about. Instead, my plan is to FBA the clutter away, as much as I can anyway. The rest will be sorted into either banker boxes (unlisted ebay inventory) or totes (bundle inventory for next year) that will be stored on high shelves around my shop, one section for each holiday.

Banker boxes will go on shelves in my new shelving area, which will have one side for un-photographed inventory, and one side for photographed, but not listed inventory. Then once it's listed it will go to the listed inventory section which has heat!

The main obstacle for me right now is that I don't have a clear work space to label, pack, ship in. All of my ebay inventory, amazon bundle inventory, and supplies, boxes, etc are all in one big messy and unstable pile and I am very ready to change that.

Anything that can be sent in to Amazon is going to be- everything else will be stored and then I should have a great work space to move on from here with. I think it will take a couple of weeks, a couple of hours each day to get things mostly settled. I also plan on getting rid of a bunch of stuff I no longer need, want, or do anymore. (most of my stuff from my old house, when I was single, my family collectibles stuff, my childhood stuff, and crafting that I used to do are out there too)

We'll see how it goes. I promise to post pictures when things are in the right spot.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Nice plan. I wish I had this kind of space. I'm SO beyond tired of the daily "inventory avalanche". The struggle is REAL. Sounds like your set up is going to be a dream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping it will make it so much easier to get my work done everyday. Although right now I am knee deep in the sorting of the clutter-- I mean inventory--:) and it's getting really overwhelming. I hope some ideas I share in the next few weeks will help out people with small areas too! You're right, the struggle is REAL!

      Delete

I'm back......

Whoa Friends, has it been a long time! Hard to believe my last post was over 3 years ago- but here I am. A few things have changed- I am now...