Monday, June 22, 2015

Tip Tuesday: Summer Schedule for Online Seller with Young Kids



I see a lot of questions in my facebook groups and online about how to make selling online work when you have young children at home, especially in the summer. I currently have a just turned 6 year old and a 2 year old. I'll be honest and tell you, it's never easy for me to find the balance between work and family. I always feel like there is more work to do, that I need to list more, ship more. . .  the list goes on.  And at the same time that I should spend more time with my kiddos. But I try to do as much as I can while they are sleeping or playing independently, and I know that they still have more of my time and energy then they did when I was teaching. I love the flexible schedule, that I can be there when they need me to be and that I can still make money while we travel or go on vacation. (Thank you Amazon FBA!)

We've been on summer break for a few weeks and this is schedule that is currently working for us. I have it posted on a wall in our dining room. Having a visual reminder really helps my 6 year old have a better day because he knows what comes next (and doesn't ask me a million times!) The schedule has also made the interruptions during my work time less. They do better when they know they have a guaranteed amount of time with my full focus everyday, and are more successful at playing independently during my work time.

So, here's the schedule that's working for us right now. Hope it gives you some ideas that help you.

7:00 Mommy up, coffee, Flylady routines, pack packages that sold overnight and print labels
8:00 Kiddos up, dressed, breakfast, chores
8:30 "School Time" 2 yr old- letters, colors, shapes, name,
6 yr old- my son is pretty advanced for his age, so I try to expand on what he will be learning in first grade and keep him interested in learning. We read everyday and work on advanced phonics, sight words and comprehension, then each day we also have a different focus. Monday is writing, Tuesday is History/Geography (we're currently studying Pioneers and Oregon Trail and chose our vacation destination to visit some places connected to the Oregon Trail) Wednesday is Art, Thursday is Technology and Friday is Science
9:00-12:00  We head out to my Ebay room (outside in my metal shop building in my yard) depending on the day and the weather, my kiddos play outside in front of the shop where I can see them, or I work from their playground, or if it's too hot or raining, they play inside the shop, painting, playdough, etc on their little picnic table where it's shady.
During this time I pack FBA boxes, take photos, package, pack orders, etc, I do not create new listings during this time. (too many interruptions)
12:00- head inside for lunch for everyone
12:30- DEAR time (Drop everything and read) I read to them, they read independently and I try to read something for myself too!
1:00 nap time for baby girl, quiet boxes for little man, ebay/amazon listing time for Mommy, and chores, like laundry, mopping, dishes, etc. I also get dinner started if it's a crockpot night.
2:-2:30 journal/writing time for Little man
3:00 baby girl up, snacks for everyone
3:30  independent play, chores, tv time
4:00 get started/finish dinner, kids free play
5:00 Dinner
6:00-7:00 Family time
7:30 Kiddos to bed, Mommy chores, clean up, time with Daddy
9:00- Mommy work time- listing, blog writing, packaging Amazon boxes, etc
12-1:00 Mommy to bed
Yes- I know that I should go to bed earlier, and some nights I do, but for me, this is m best work time, I can get more done in these few hours, then I do most of the day, due to limited interruptions from my family and I get to watch the TV shows I want to watch!

This isn't our every day schedule, as we have "town" day to run errands, swimming lessons twice a week, playdates, etc. But when we are home for the day, this is our schedule.


What does your schedule look like, kids, no kids, older kids, full time job, part time job, full time seller, share it in the comments below!





2 comments:

  1. Reading your post has made me realize I really need to set a schedule,
    My girls are grown and I only work part time for my local newspaper.
    I plan to start selling online full time, and I need to have a daily schedule like you.
    LOL....I guess when grandmas get older we tend to think we dont need schedules, but you get so much more done in a day than I do all week..
    LOVE LOVE LOVE your DEAR time, that is so cute, I am gonna add the drop everything and read to my Friday schedule when I have have grandchildren for the night. Thanks for sharing your schedule and prompting me to start my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing! I can't believe how much more I am able to get done since I did the summer schedule. I think a lot of it is because my kiddos know what to expect from the day, and that mommy has to have time to work too. It's cute how my 6 yr old is now saying things like- I should save this and do it during learning time. I also get to use up so of my old teaching and craft supplies and I feel so much more like I am the mom I want to be! I think a schedule helps keep us on track at any age, as long as it can be flexible too! Try the schedule and let me know if it helps any?

      Delete

I'm back......

Whoa Friends, has it been a long time! Hard to believe my last post was over 3 years ago- but here I am. A few things have changed- I am now...