Tuesday, November 25, 2014

This Thanksgiving vs Last Thanksgiving

Last Thanksgiving was a difficult one for me. I had three days off from school for "vacation," and cried almost the whole three days with the dread of going back to work.

I missed spending time with my children.  I had been sick 6 days of the school year already, including going to work with a 102.3 fever, only to be given a "surprise" evaluation. I was having 4-5 days a week with migraines and was sleeping 2-3 hours a night, because I literally could not sleep from the stress. I was taking medicine for a stomach ulcer. I was losing my hair handfuls at a time.  I cried everyday driving to work and driving to pick up my kids, in the shower, and usually several times during the day. My hubby had to give me a daily pep talk just to get me out the door to work. It was one of the toughest times of my life.


Fast forward to this Thanksgiving:
I have had only 3 migraines since May. I have only been sick once. I usually sleep 4-5 hours a night, but because it's my decision, and I either take a nap or go to bed early a couple of times a week.
I am not taking any medication for the migraines or ulcer and my hair is finally starting to grow back in. I have only cried 2 times since May.

I am consistently making enough to cover the bills and am only making about $100-$200 less than I made teaching. (before 4th quarter even started)

I spent all of Monday spending time with my children. I taught my son how to make loom potholders, which he is now making for everyone for Christmas. My daughter learned to say Elmo and Abbey and how to put a diaper on her baby doll. My son and I had a discussion about what Black Friday means, a mini economics lesson, if you will. I still managed to get 10 FBA boxes out, found Christmas gifts and art activities for my kids to do at the Thrift Store. (at half price at that!)

In October I went to the Women of Faith Conference in Denver with my mom and some of my best girlfriends. There was a prayer time to pray for things you need in your life. This year, I honestly could not think of anything more I needed or wanted, just for my life to continue just as it is. What a difference from last year, when my heart was so heavy I could not get any words out of my mouth thru the tears, I could only think, God, please help me.

I am so thankful this Thanksgiving for the life I have been given. For God and his endless love, despite my struggles with disbelief and sin. No matter how many times I stray from Him, He always welcomes me back with open arms. I am thankful for my family and their support of me. For the soldiers who fight to keep my country free, for my business and for my ability to spend this year at home. This year I have so much to be thankful for it is beyond mere words. I plan on unplugging on Thanksgiving, to giving my undivided attention to my family and loved ones.

And then hitting the stores early and hard on Friday morning. I have a few last Christmas gifts to purchase and some FBA inventory to buy. Then it's a major push from there on out until Christmas.
And I wouldn't want it any other way!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Melissa



4 comments:

  1. I loved reading this Post Melissa. I'm so glad for you! Wow..you went through a lot before. It was making my stomach hurt just from reading! You poor thing. Glad everything worked out for you! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! It made me smile. I'm glad for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you definitely made the right choice - so glad it worked out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy for you, thanks for the update! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

I'm back......

Whoa Friends, has it been a long time! Hard to believe my last post was over 3 years ago- but here I am. A few things have changed- I am now...