Monday, October 6, 2014

Make It Monday- Salad in a jar

Today I am making a week's worth of salad for my hubby. With all of the recent meetings with the insurance company I have been thinking a lot about our family eating more healthy food. My hubby's family has a history of heart disease and his father sadly passed away when he was just 49 years old. My hubby will be 41 next month. Something that has hit me hard!

Since I am working from home I have more time to prepare foods that are healthy and quick and easy for my hubby to grab as he heads off to work so hard for our family.

I hit my mom up for some old wide mouth canning jars she had stored in her basement and purchased these lids from Amazon.

 http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Wide-Mouth-Plastic-Storage-8-Count/dp/B000SSN3L2/ref=sr_1_13?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1412565325&sr=1-13&keywords=mason+jars

Here's the way I layered the ingredients for a basic lunch salad. I will experiment with more combinations next week. I spent about an hour chopping and cleaning all of the vegetables and put them into several bowls lined up on the counter. Then I assembly lined them. A weeks worth of lunch for about 2 hours time. I think I will get quicker the more I do.

Bottom layer- half ranch/half thousand island dressing, both fat free (hubby's request not mine!)  I plan on using store bought dressing until we run out and then making it from scratch.

next layer- hearty vegetables- celery, carrots, baby tomoatoes, cucumbers

next layer- garbanzo beans

next layer protein- white cheese cubes, hard boiled eggs, cooked ground turkey

next layer- iceburg lettuce ( I'm still trying to get him to switch to spinach for more nutritional value)

Seal it up and then store in the fridge.  I'll let him try them out this week and report back on how they went. I have read some people have problems with the items getting wilted, so we'll see!






No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm back......

Whoa Friends, has it been a long time! Hard to believe my last post was over 3 years ago- but here I am. A few things have changed- I am now...